Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hawks Take 5th Straight in 2nd OT Win over Jaguars....

They've seen this script before.

The Hanover Hawks have played the Glen Allen Jaguars three times already this season, Monday night's affair at Hanover being the first regularly-scheduled game.

December 7th, at Glen Allen, the Hawks and Jags met for the Conference 20 Preseason Tournament title, with Hanover winning in overtime. Three weeks later at Henrico High School, the Jaguars survived battle #2 over the Hawks in the consolation semis of the Henrico Holiday Hoops Tournament.

In Round 3, the Jaguars held the lead most of the first half, watched Hanover stay close, then take the lead into the fourth quarter, 50-49, setting the stage for yet another frantic finish.

Grayson Midulla led Glen Allen with 25 points but struggled mightily at the free throw line in the second half, much to the delight of Hanover. Cutch Ellis had 12 first half points but was cooled off a bit in the second and spent time on the bench in foul trouble. Jalen Elliott scored all of two points in the first 30 minutes.

It was up to Jordan Wade to keep the Hawks alive, Many of his 17 points came after intermission, yet Glen Allen found a way to up the lead to six at 60-54, with possession of the ball with 1:50 to go. The Jags committed a costly turnover, and Elliott went to work.

Jalen had a personal 5-0 run to help the Hawks erase the lead. a Cutch Ellis lay-in gave Hanover the 62-60 lead with 10 seconds to go. Glen Allen broke the press, got the ball to Midulla, who raced to the basket with four fouls to make the tying basket with two seconds to go. Elliott launched an 80-footer which hit the front rim and backboard before falling away. Overtime again for the Hawks and Jaguars...

This time Hanover took the six point lead, but first they saw their nemesis, Midulla commit his fifth personal foul and exit the game with under three minutes left in the extra session. The Hawks, with a 68-64 advantage, milked over a minute off the clock, then extended the lead to six. That lead held with 28 seconds to go, but an Ellis lay-in to seal the win rimmed out, the Jaguars advanced the ball, and Tre'shawn Blackston knocked home a trey from the baseline to cut the lead to 70-67 with 14 seconds left.

Glen Allen drew up their defensive scheme in a timeout, and it worked. Hanover turned the ball over with 10.9 to go. The Jaguars had a prayer.

But the prayer was never asked, much less answered, as freshman Jason Wade stole the ball from Glen Allen, ran the clock down to 1.2 seconds left, then hit two free throws for the margin of victory.

The 9-4 Hawks get no break, as the Highland Springs Springers come to the Bird Cage for a 7:30 matchup Tuesday night.


In girls action, Hanover fell to 5-8 with a 72-37 loss to Glen Allen at home. Nikki Petzer led the Hawks with 11 points.  Meanwhile, Lee-Davis picked up a big road victory, defeating Dinwiddie 46-42. The 3-8 Confederates were led by Imani Boothe with 17 points, while Olivia Tuck added 13.

No comments: